It's sounds like a simple job, right? Caretakers care for the horses. But a lot goes into making sure those horses are healthy and happy and well fed and performing at their peak. Catch up with an up-and-coming caretaker at Harrah's Philadelphia, where she talks you through an average workday and explains why, as the people who spend the most time with the horses, trainers and owners rely on them for so much.
WATCH THIS WEEK'S FULL EPISODE RIGHT HERE! MEET 78-YEAR-OLD TRAINER CHUCK sylvester still going strong, see what it takes to be a caretaker and more!
It's almost championship time for the Great Northeast Series and PA Sire Stakes, and we've got all the latest action including...
· A track record — and a world record! — in the Sire Stakes at Pocono for White Tiger and trainer Anthony Macdonald.
· Heather catches up with three-time Hambo winner and Hall of Fame trainer Chuck Sylvester, who's still going strong at 78 years old and still powering his small stable to the winner's circle.
· Sharla talks with driver Eric Carlson, who passed on a career in the corporate world for the exciting world of racing, about his roots in the sport, how he got into the game and plans for the future.
· Caretaker Katie Remmerswaal shows us what it's like taking care of the horses and what she loves most about her job.
· Plus, trainer Sam DePinto gives us a primer on an important piece of racing equipment, we take a look at what's trending on social media and more!
Hall of Famer David Miller guided two-year-old pacing fillies May Bride Hanover and Skater Chick to their third Pennsylvania Stallion Series victories on Thursday afternoon at Harrah’s Philadelphia, each their third straight triumph after skipping the first leg, and he may have a hard decision to make as to which filly to guide in the group’s Championship race here on Labor Day Monday.
SEE WHAT BLACKSMITHS DO...HOW RACES ARE DRAWN...WATCH A NINE YEAR OLD RECORD FALL...AND MORE, ON THIS WEEK'S SHOW
Big races, behind-the-scenes fun and more on this week's show including...
· Meet the blacksmith at Harrah's Philadelphia, sho shows us how he cares for his horses and the most challenging parts of his job.
· Speaking of Harrah's, a record that stood for NINE YEARS just fell...we take you there for the race and talk to the driver, Andrew McCarthy.
· The PA Sire Stakes and Great Northeast Series are both wrapping up, and we check out the furious action as we head to the finals.
· Plus, we show you how officials draw the post positions for each race...show you another great Blast From The Past...and catch you up on the latest social media cuteness.
How do you make sure the horse that shows up is actually the one entered in the race? Meet Peggy Seaman, the Horse Identifier at Harrah's Philadelphia since 2006. Nothing gets by Peggy. Nothing. She not only makes sure it's the right horse, but that the horse is wearing exactly the right equipment.
We're jam-packed this week with racing action from the Hambletonian to Harrah's including...
· The hottest clips from Hambletonian day at NJ's The Meadowlands, and which of those amazing horses you can look forward to seeing in PA.
· PA Sire Stakes races are heating up, and we've got the most thrilling moments from the past week.
· We talk to driver Corey Callahan about rising star Love Me Some Lou, and driver Tim Tetrick talks about fast freshman Crimson And Chrome, which he also owns and bred.
· Plus, go behind the scenes with driver Marcus Miller who shows us the anatomy of a race bike...we go into the paddock with Peggy Seaman, who has a unique job as the horse identifier at Harrah's...Heather serves up a fun Brain Twister...and we say a bittersweet goodbye to the world's oldest horse.
Meet Dial Or Nodial—assuming you don't know him already. This pacer has a heart of gold and nerves of steel and has been winning big-money races for years. And he's still winning, picking up a victory just last week at Harrah's Philadelphia in a speedy 1:52.2.
“He’s a little bit of a special horse to everybody involved,” trainer Jim Campbell told Standardbred Canada back in 2011 after Dial had already won 15 of 47 career races and earned $1,012,257. “Mr. Siegel raised the horse. He was a good two-year-old and one of the top three-year-olds until he got hurt. Then he came back last year and showed that he’s a class horse. He’s one of those horses that is just a real nice horse to be around. You can’t help but love him." We love him too.
From the Meadows to the Meadowlands, we're covering all the action on harness racing's hottest circuit including...
· It's Hambo time!!! And this week's Guest Handicapper is the perfect guy to give us his picks...former Hambletonian winning driver and trainer Todd Schadel.
· Out west, we check out Dorsoduro Hanover's victory in the Adios and talk to driver Matt Kakaley about his first Adios win.
· Our Race of the Week from Pocono features Shartin N and driver Tim Tetrick competing in the Great Northeast Series at Pocono, while Harrah's Philly sees a down-to-the-wire between drivers Brett Miller and George Napolitano Jr. with Bully Pulpit and Messi.
· We've also got a fun Brain Twister to noodle on, a peek behind the scenes with Harrah's track announcer Mike Bozich, some horse cuteness courtesy of the Interweb on What's Trending and more!
-----------------------PA Harness Week